My brother in arms

Today my brother left for his second tour of Afghanistan. I took the photograph of his uniform shortly before he left on his first tour. Neatly ironed, freshly cleaned.

While I’m not one for postering my personal life on my blog (although I do hugely admire those who have the courage to do so) I will say this; my brother is a true hero. Although I’ll never tell him!

I’m not going to witter on about the politics or the ethics of it all just that, I’ll miss my brother. Thats all.

37 thoughts on “My brother in arms

1. hallsofthemind says:

I have little brothers that followed me into the military. One joined the Army and another the Navy. As an NCO and a brother I found that I was very proud of both my brothers. I don’t see them often but I do love them. Your brother, no doubt loves you too and wants what is best for you, even if he’d never tell you that.
    A very nice post.
    SSG.Worley

Very kind ones, thank you. My best friend is also out on tour and you are right it is such pride you feel for them. Must be a hard time though having such a military family.

• hallsofthemind says:

My family has served in the military since before the United States existed as such. For us it seems like the most natural thing in the world. However the wars have been hard on my poor brothers souls. I sometimes feel guilty for the pain they endure. Thank you for your reply.

2. Vlad says:

Fantastically simple and fantastically moving. Thank you James. I know that can’t have been easy to share with us all.

3. niasunset says:

I am so semotional one… and always makes me cry these kind of happennings… You did a great post, I wish him Good Luck and come back home safely… Blessing and Happiness, with my love, nia

4. Dave says:

I have three sons, James, and none have served in the military. With them home safe, I sometimes forget to think about and show respect for those who put themselves in harm’s way for us. Wishing your brother a safe tour.

5. spilledinkguy says:

Can’t even imagine how difficult that must be…
    I sincerely appreciate all that folks like him do for our nation on a daily basis…
    as everyone has said wishing your brother a safe tour and return, Mr. D…

6. happykidshappymom says:

My thoughts and prayers are with your brother, and your family. What a haunting photograph — you have a true talent. And I enjoyed the depth of your post, where you mentioned you will miss your brother, joined with the lightness of your admission that you’d never tell your brother you think he’s a hero. I think you did just that, with this post.

7. Pingback: Visit Indonesia
  8. Squiddo says:

You should find the confidence because this is beautiful. not the beauty of something material or the photograph itself but the pure love and meaning beyond the image.. my uncle went out and did his share and it change him. he was a medic and i was told he said you dont see the worst, the guys that appear on the news having died, its the ones who come into the medical centre clinging to life and crying for their families ❤