Empty Easels: 1st Exhibition Finishes

Empty easels and bare walls. Photographs in bags and portfolio closed and packed.

After six days my first photography exhibition has come to a close.

Before last Thursday I had no clue how it would go and even many, many sleepless nights helped in vain to predict its failure or success.

I am, however, ecstatic to report that it was a huge success! With so many lovely comments from friends, family and strangers alike I have been truly humbled by it all. What I found most interesting about the whole bonkers experience is seeing what were people’s favourites as I am always unable to pick. It was also amazing to find out where people who brought them are from, with some as far a field as America and Japan!

While the exhibition is over don’t worry if you still want to buy one of my pieces, while they are still in the early numbers of their limited runs, simply click here and drop me an email I am bound to be able to sort something out.

I should also announce the winner of the photograph competition as sadly the winner was unable to come to the exhibition, what with her living 5 hours away! Quin Lott I hope you enjoy your Darkened Woods.

While the next few weeks will be busy with ordering all the photographs and packed with packing them, I will be working away with a smile. Thank you to all those who came and everyone else’s lovely words of enthusiasm and luck.

Below are a selection of shots from the reception evening so you can see what you missed!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

37 thoughts on “Empty Easels: 1st Exhibition Finishes

It took me about two days to finally be pleased with the layout, I think I prob would have carried on moving it around if my family hadn’t banned me from it!

1. Hollie :) says:

Everything looks amazing James πŸ™‚ But you’ll have to have another one πŸ˜€ and Ill have to come along and make you feel more humble!
    Hate that i couldnt be there :((
    But Congrats on the huge success bud x

2. renxkyoko says:

BTW, I’m going to take tons of pics in Europe. And going to post them on my blog. Please don’t laugh at the pics. I’m terribly bad at taking pics. They’re always blurry. Hahaha ! Yikes ! Embarassing.

3. ckponderings says:

Congratulations!! The first exhibition is always the worst – the days and weeks of anticipation and trepidation lead, as you say, to many sleepless nights! I’ve done two (VERY small) ones of my own, and find it easier to share the space/limelight with others. (Something like an Open Houses/Artists’ Trail is a good thing to do.)

Nice one! πŸ™‚

That’s a great idea, I have two friends who want to exhibit their stuff but then doesn’t it turn into a competition on who can sell the most? Hehe. How did you two go?

• ckponderings says:

The two ones I had back in 2008 and 2008 were only for a weekend each in a local village hall.. I enjoyed them because it gave me a chance to showcase my photography, but it was a little disappointing as only friends and family came along (while their support was greatly appreciated, I was trying to get my work to a wider audience).

The Open House trail in Worthing last year was much more successful. Close to 300 people visiting the house over three weekends – the house had six artists of different styles in it: I was the sole photographer.

Oddly enough the 2012 event kicks off next weekend, and I have a pile of images prepped and ready to go – my ‘to-do’ list this afternoon includes tags, and your idea of luggage tags had thrown my original plan completely! πŸ™‚

They were such a brilliant brain wave of mine, simple and effective! I was worried that it would be just be a handful of people but people I didn’t know came as well as friends I didn’t expect to come! You’ll have to let me know how it goes, what sort of stuff will you be exhibiting?

• ckponderings says:

Luggage tags purchased! (I get into action when I get an idea!)

I’m exhibiting three dozen images, and (hopefully) selling greetings cards made from prints of some of my shots. I’m sharing the exhibition space with a painter, jewellery maker, woodcut artist, sculptor and pencil-drawing artist.

We found a guest book a good idea last time, so are going for that approach again this time around.